Fire and Rescue Services Statistics, Scotland 2011-12
21/08/2012Scotland’s Chief Statistician today published Fire and Rescue Services Statistics, which provides statistics on Fire and Rescue Services workforce, stations and equipment, Home Fire Safety Visits, non-domestic fire safety and attacks on Fire and Rescue Service personnel at incidents.
The key findings of the statistics are:
- On 31 March 2012, the headcount of Fire and Rescue Services staff in Scotland was 9,040, of which 14 per cent are female.
- Of Scotland’s Fire and Rescue Services, 0.6 per cent of staff are recorded as belonging to a minority ethnic group and 0.6 per cent of staff have a disability.
Attacks on Fire and Rescue Services Personnel
- The provisional figures for 2011-12 recorded 112 incidents where attacks on fire fighters occurred; this was a decrease of 60 incidents (35 per cent) from 2010-11.
Home Fire Safety Visits
- In 2011-12, there were 56,545 Home Fire Safety Visits performed by Scotland’s Fire and Rescue Services – this is approximately one visit for every 44 dwellings in Scotland. During these visits, 46,395 smoke alarms were installed.
Non – Domestic Fire Safety
- In 2011-12, Scotland’s Fire and Rescue Services completed 7,555 fire safety audits and 40 enforcement notices and 26 prohibition notices. This represents five per cent of known non-domestic premises in Scotland and took 50,380 hours.
- Of the 7,555 fire safety audits that were completed in 2011-12, 90 per cent were found to have reached compliant standards after the initial inspection.
Official statistics are produced by professionally independent statistical staff.
This is the third publication of Fire and Rescue Services Statistics as Official Statistics. Stations, equipment and Home Fire Safety Visits have been included in this publication for the first time.
Further information on fire statistics within Scotland can be accessed at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Crime-Justice.
Official statistics are produced by professionally independent statistical staff – more information on the standards of official statistics in Scotland can be accessed at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/About.